celery root soup with green apple bacon slaw – A simple slow cooker fall soup with bacon!
for the soup
- 2 pounds of celery root, peeled and cut into eights.
- 4 celery stalks, rough chopped.
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped.
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed.
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds, toasted and ground with a mortar and pestle.
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar.
- 2 tablespoon kosher salt.
for the slaw:
- 4 Strips of bacon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 granny smith apple, cored and halved
- 2 tablespoon sour cream
- 2 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- half teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- pomegranate seeds
- chives, minced
- to taste kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
For the soup:
- In a small saucepot or saute pan, toast the caraway seed until fragrant. Pour into the mortar and pestle, and grind it into powder. Reserve.
- Put celery root, celery, onions, garlic, caraway seeds, and stock into the slow cooker. Set to low heat/4 hours. Cover.
- Check the celery root to be fork tender. If tender, puree the soup in a blender until smooth and velvety. If it seems too thick, use warm water to reach the desired consistency. (Please be very careful when blending hot liquid. Only fill blender 3/4 way, and hold down the lid with a kitchen towel while blending.)
- Put the blended soup back into the slow cooker. Add the cider vinegar and check seasoning. The flavor should be savory with a faint acidic finish.
For the slaw:
- Stack the bacon and slice into equal thin strips (much easier to do when bacon is cold).
- In a small saucepot, add the olive oil and heat until it shimmers. Separate the bacon and add to the pot. Lower to medium heat. Stirring constantly cook until the bacon is evenly cooked to a crispy golden brown. Remove from the pot to a paper towel.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the sour cream, mustard, vinegar, and whisk until blended. It should be thick enough just to coat a spoon. If it’s too thick, add a touch of water.
- Cut the apple halves into thin slices, stack them and slice thin, and event. (a Japanese mandoline will work great here.)
- Add the apples, chives, and pomegranate to the bowl and mix well.
- Ladle warm soup into bowls.
- Mix the bacon in with the slaw and place it in the middle of the soup.
- Category: soup
- Method: Slow-Cooker
- Cuisine: Aerican
Keywords: Fall Soup Thanksgiving Celery root